Capria invests in investment management firms focused on providing risk capital to small and fast-growing businesses in emerging markets. We do this through providing flexible capital, engaging in a long-term deep support partnership, and facilitating support through a tightly-coupled network of investment firms across emerging markets. More about What We Do >
We are looking for investment management firms based in and investing in emerging markets that can deliver superior financial returns, scalable local impact, and contribute to the Capria Network.
Applications to our 6th Investment Cycle are now open. The last date for applications has been extended to June 1st, 2018.
Our Selection Criteria: We expect investment management teams to have previous investing experience, impact DNA, a solid investment thesis, and a proposed fund structure. Teams must also show traction identifying and engaging with both investors and pipeline investment companies. Please review our more detailed selection criteria prior to submitting information.
Our Business Model: We provide risk capital along with significant multi-year strategic & practical support services and in return receive a share of management revenues and profits from your new fund(s). We look to align interests based on each manager’s long-term success and therefore do not charge any upfront fees.
The Capria Process
Application & Selection
- Share your team experience and fund strategy with us
- We invite those that meet our selection criteria to follow on conversations and we get to know each other further to explore whether we're a good fit
- Term sheets are extended to select teams and formal agreements are signed, providing fund managers with access to Capria's advisory and acceleration services, investment capital, and the Capria Network
The Onboarding "Intensive"
- Connect with the Capria team, other fund managers, advisors, investors, and external experts over a multi-week engagement that begins virtually followed by in-person interaction in Seattle where you'll also have the chance to present your fund in front of a global audience of LPs
- Refine and update your overall plan, strategy, and materials with guidance from world-class investors and entrepreneurs as you continue building an enduring investment firm
- Learn global best practices in fund operations while gaining access to tools and templates that you can make your own
Jumpstart Your Fund
- Begin integrating best practices gleaned from the Intensive into your daily operations and activities
- Activate your business network for fundraising
- Build your initial investment portfolio before your fund is formed - on Capria's balance sheet
- Get to the first close of your fund and transfer your portfolio from Capria's balance sheet to yours
- Join the Capria Network, gaining access to a wealth of knowledge shared by fund managers around the world
Driving to Final Close
- Make your first capital call, build up your team, ramp up your investing activity, and support your growing group of portfolio companies
- Capria begins participating on your GP Advisory Board and provides ongoing 1-on-1 support
- Establish your reputation as a serious, quality investor in your target markets
- Further leverage the startup knowledge and best practices of the Capria Network along with your momentum to bring in additional investors to complete your fundraising
Execute and Grow
- Deploy capital of your first fund and start getting money returned and mark-ups on initial investments
- Further enhance your tools, processes and procedures by making progress in the 10 core areas critical to fund manager success as defined in Capria Quantum, our proprietary capabilities assessment tool
- Start planning for your next fund or your next raise to build on the momentum you've created
- Benefit from sharing investment opportunities and evaluating deals with other fund managers in the Capria Network
Capria Selection Criteria
We expect investment management teams to have previous investing experience, an investment thesis, and a proposed fund structure. The team must also show traction identifying and engaging with both potential funders and portfolio companies. We expect managers to seek superior financial returns, scalable local social/environmental impact, and be eager to contribute to the Capria Network.
Fund Manager Qualifications & Experience
- All-in entrepreneur commitment and aptitude
- Prepared to make a full-time commitment for 10+ years
- Team of at least two Partners/Principals
- Experience scaling businesses
- Investment experience (personally or at a firm)
- Seek superior financial returns
- Personal commitment to impact
- Self-reliant yet eager to listen, learn and improve
- Ready to invest a material amount of personal capital
- Relevant experience in the target market
- Strong deal pipeline and deal flow channels
- Fundraising progress and momentum
- Ready to spend a lot of time fundraising
- Ready now to run hard to get to a new fund's final close