Capria is the leading venture fund and network investing in extraordinary tech startups of the Global South. Capria helps activate strong relationships between hundreds of founders and leading local VC firms in the tech hubs of the Global South – from Sao Paulo to Lagos to Bangalore to Jakarta. Capria brings state-of-the-art venture capital innovation combined with global best practices of impact and ESG management to select and manage its portfolio of market-leading companies serving the fastest growing economies of the world. Capria’s network of investing partners collectively manage assets of more than USD 1B, deployed in the best startups in their regions. Capria has offices in Seattle, Bangalore, Nairobi and Washington DC.
Overview of Responsibilities & Objectives
Capria is seeking a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, and self-directed investment professional to expand our investment and operational activity in India and SE Asia. You will also be involved in investment activities across the Global South.
You will be an integral part of the global investment team as we continue to manage our current fund and raise and deploy our next USD $100M – $150M fund. You will work closely with Capria’s Partners (Dave, Will, Susana and Jack) and be involved in virtually all aspects of our work including sourcing deals, executing the end-to-end due diligence process, sourcing partnership opportunities, ensuring value creation within our portfolio to deliver targeted returns, supporting fundraising as we continue raising our next fund, and managing local business operations.
Experience and Capabilitiess
The most vital areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
- Experience working and investing in South and Southeast Asia with strong, relevant business relationships established in multiple countries.
- 12+ years of professional experience with 10+ years of demonstrably-relevant, direct early-stage to early-growth investing experience in Series A and/or Series B equity rounds.
- We are looking for someone with experience in making sound investment decisions, as evidenced by deal performance and professional recommendations. Fund investing experience is a plus.
- At least 5 years experience working for a multi-national and/or working abroad, thus having a strong understanding of global best practices in business operations.
- Experience in a start-up environment or equivalent. We’re a scrappy, hustling VC firm – you will be able to get a lot done, with limited resources, and quickly.
Key personal skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated aptitude as a fast learner of new skills and knowledge with a strong aptitude for using state-of-the-art technology tools for info sharing & communications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively synthesize complex information, present rigorous analysis, and exercise advanced critical thinking to deliver recommendations and solutions.
- Thrives on managing hard challenges in ambiguous settings.
- Strong aptitude for working effectively with a global team and with global partners.
- Demonstrated ability to build, nurture, and cultivate relationships with prospective/current investees, team members, partners, and the Asia and global venture/startup ecosystem.
The Role & Opportunity
The best candidate will contribute expertly in the following areas:
- Sourcing, Screening, and Closing Investment Opportunities: Primary focus is early-growth (Series A/B) co-investments with Capria’s India & SE Asia local early-stage VC partner funds. Secondary focus is adding new complementary India & SE Asia VC fund partnerships & investments. You will oversee our sourcing, evaluation and transaction efforts across region to ensure we are making the best investments. This includes building and maintaining relationships with and contributing value-add to the venture capital and startup ecosystem in the region and with global connections to promote the South and Southeast Asia opportunity.
- Portfolio Management & Exits: You will work closely with portfolio founders to help them to realize their full potential including pursuing appropriate growth, strategic decisions, improving unit economics, hiring & retaining the best talent, raising more capital, collaborate to get value from other portfolio founders globally, finding and facilitating exits at the right time, and more. You will also work closely with our VC partners to help them scale up and institutionalize their firms into regional leaders including providing bespoke advice, connecting them with other network funds for learning and collaboration, helping them to access Capria’s deep fund manager best practices resources, connecting them with investors for their funds and portfolio companies, and more.
- Fundraising: You will support Capria’s fundraising efforts for our funds and co-investment opportunities including developing effective messaging about our South and Southeast Asia portfolio companies and fund partners, identifying and connecting Capria to potential fund investors (LPs), communicating the firm’s messaging effectively with local and regional media, and representing the firm at investment and other industry events.
- Business Operations: You will manage and support our regional business and investment operations ensuring we run an effective, efficient and accountable organization. You will be responsible for capturing relevant information to ensure value-added services can be delivered to our portfolio of direct investments and fund managers. You will also be responsible for making sure we have adequate information to effectively report on our regional investment progress to our current and prospective investors.
- Team Management: You will initially oversee an Investment Associate based in Bangalore.
- Marketing: You will be responsible for working with Capria’s marketing team to enhance Capria’s visibility and brand across the continent through a “portfolio first” approach as well as penning thought leadership articles that establish you as an industry leader across the Global South.
- Ecosystem Development: We are looking for someone well connected throughout the industry as we continue to deeply expand our network while advancing relationships with industry associations and other key ecosystem stakeholders throughout the region.
The successful candidate will have a MBA or equivalent work experience.