Raising a fund is difficult. Building a top-tier investment firm is even harder. Capria invests in venture capital, private equity, and other debt and equity funds backing early-growth businesses.
Capria enhances fund managers’ ability to deliver superior returns through the network effect of collaborating managers, a proprietary investment platform backed by deep intellectual property, and long-term advisory services.
With the launch of our 8th investment cycle, we are actively seeking to invest from our USD $100M global fund-of-funds in each of 3-5 exceptional funds from emerging markets. We are highly selective. Of 800 applicants reviewed in the past 3 years, only 19 were selected to join the Capria Network. These 19 managers are operating in 25 countries; half already have funds established with more than $350 million in AUM. By the end of 2020 we anticipate their collective AUM to reach USD $1 billion. More about What We Do >
We are looking for investment management firms based in and investing in emerging & frontier markets that can deliver superior financial returns, scalable local impact, and contribute to the Capria Network.
Our Selection Criteria: We expect investment management teams to have previous investing experience, see a strategic competitive advantage in integrating an impact strategy, a solid investment thesis, and a proposed new/next fund structure. Teams must also show traction identifying and engaging with both investors and pipeline investment companies. Please review our more detailed selection criteria prior to submitting information.
Our Business Model: We provide risk capital, significant multi-year strategic & practical support services, and participation in the leading global network of fund managers. In return, Capria receives a share of management revenues and profits from your new fund(s). We look to align interests based on each manager’s long-term success and therefore do not charge any upfront fees.
Want to know more about the selection process? Check out our FAQs.
The Capria Process
Sign up for Capria Edge
- Take 5 minutes to sign up for Capria Edge, benchmark yourself, and get access to free resources.
- Capria continuously looks for promising managers in our target markets. If you fit our profile, we’ll reach out and invite you to provide a detailed application for our new investment cycle.
- We’ll be investing USD $3-5M in each of 3 or more managers for this cycle from our $100M Fund.
Application & Selection
- Share your team experience and fund strategy with us
- We invite those that meet our selection criteria to follow on conversations and we get to know each other further to explore whether we're a good fit
- Term sheets are extended to select teams and formal agreements are signed, providing fund managers with access to Capria's advisory and acceleration services, investment capital, and the Capria Network
The Onboarding "Intensive"
- Connect with the Capria team, other fund managers, advisors, investors, and external experts over a multi-week engagement that begins virtually followed by in-person interaction in Seattle where you'll also have the chance to present your fund in front of a global audience of LPs
- Refine and update your overall plan, strategy, and materials with guidance from world-class investors and entrepreneurs as you continue building an enduring investment firm
- Learn global best practices in fund operations while gaining access to tools and templates that you can make your own
Jumpstart Your New/Next Fund
- Begin integrating best practices gleaned from the Intensive into your daily operations and activities
- Activate your business network for fundraising
- Build your initial investment portfolio before your fund is formed - on Capria's balance sheet
- Get to the first close of your fund and transfer your portfolio from Capria's balance sheet to yours
- Join the Capria Network, gaining access to a wealth of knowledge shared by fund managers around the world
Driving to Final Close
- Make your first capital call, build up your team, ramp up your investing activity, and support your growing group of portfolio companies
- Capria begins participating on your GP Advisory Board and provides ongoing 1-on-1 support
- Establish your reputation as a serious, quality investor in your target markets
- Further leverage the startup knowledge and best practices of the Capria Network along with your momentum to bring in additional investors to complete your fundraising
Execute and Grow
- Deploy capital of your first fund and start getting money returned and mark-ups on initial investments
- Further enhance your tools, processes and procedures by making progress in the 10 core areas critical to fund manager success as defined in Capria Quantum, our proprietary capabilities assessment tool
- Start planning for your next fund or your next raise to build on the momentum you've created
- Benefit from sharing investment opportunities and evaluating deals with other fund managers in the Capria Network
Capria Selection Criteria
We expect investment management teams to have previous investing experience, an investment thesis, and a proposed fund structure. The team must also show traction identifying and engaging with both potential funders and portfolio companies. We expect managers to seek superior financial returns, scalable local social/environmental impact, and be eager to contribute to the Capria Network.
Fund Manager Qualifications for 1st or 2nd+ Time Funds
- All-in entrepreneur commitment and aptitude
- Demonstrated ability to make full-time commitment for 10-15 years
- Team of at least 2 partners / principals, 3 preferred
- Experience scaling businesses in local markets
- Significant investment experience (personally or at a firm)
- Commitment to achieving superior financial returns
- Self-reliant, yet eager to listen, learn and improve
- Investing a material amount of personal capital
- Relevant experience in target market(s)
- Strong company pipeline and deal flow channels
- Fundraising progress and increasing momentum
- Ready to spend a lot of time fundraising
- Ready now to run hard to get to a new fund’s final close