|Role Type:||Full-time employee|
|Salary:||Commensurate with experience recognizing start-up nature of the business, with emphasis on long-term performance compensation|
Capria Ventures is the first Global South venture capital firm investing in disruptive technology startups across the key entrepreneurial hubs including Bangalore, Delhi, Jakarta, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, São Paulo, Mexico City, Santiago, Bogota, Buenos Aires, Dubai, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, and Cape Town.
Capria’s network of investing partners collectively manage more than USD $400 million in assets deployed in early-stage and early growth companies in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Capria invests in funds and companies via its network fund. Capria is headquartered in Seattle and also has team members based in Bangalore, Washington D.C., Santiago, and Nairobi. More at: https://capria.vc
Overview of Responsibilities & Objectives
Capria is seeking a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, and self-directed investment professional to support our investment and overall operational activity throughout South and Southeast Asia. The Associate will also be involved in transactions and other projects on a global basis.
Capria Network consists today of three Asia fund managers with a presence in India and Southeast Asia and will scale to six Asia funds by the end of 2021. As Investment Associate, you will be an integral part of the Capria investment team as we continue to deploy capital from our current fund and raise our next fund. You will work closely with Capria’s leadership team and be involved in virtually all aspects of our work including sourcing partnering opportunities, supporting our fund manager selection process, contributing to due diligence on direct deals, managing data collection and reporting, and facilitating value creation within our portfolio to deliver targeted returns.
Experience and Capabilities
The most vital areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
- Experience working and investing throughout Asia with strong, relevant business relationships established with companies and investors.
- Demonstrably relevant, direct early-stage to early-growth investing experience in Series A and/or Series B equity rounds. We are looking for someone with credibility in making sound investment decisions, as evidenced by deal performance and professional recommendations. To be credible with our fund manager partners, you must have shown you have been an effective investor. Fund investing experience is a plus though not required.
- Experience in a start-up environment or equivalent. We’re not a large PE firm with unlimited resources – we’re looking for someone who knows how to get a lot done, with limited resources, and quickly.
Key personal skills and abilities include:
- Demonstrated aptitude as a fast learner of new skills and knowledge and a strong aptitude for using state-of-the-art technology for info sharing & communications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively synthesize complex information, exercising advanced critical thinking to deliver recommendations and solutions.
- Strong aptitude for working effectively with a global team and with global partners.
- Exception analytical rigor.
The best candidate will contribute in the following areas:
- Sourcing, Screening, and Closing Investment Opportunities: Capria has already reviewed investment proposals from over 60+ countries globally. You will support our sourcing and transaction efforts throughout Asia, contributing to the DD process end to end, to ensure we are investing in the best fund managers and great direct deals through our co-investment program.
- Portfolio/Network Development & Support: You will work closely with the Capria Partner and Investment Director focused on Asia working diligently to grow NAV, MOIC, and impact across our portfolio. Work closely with and add value to fund managers and entrepreneurs as they scale.
- Business Operations: You will support operations ensuring we run an efficient and accountable organization. You will be responsible for capturing relevant information to ensure value added services can be delivered to fund managers and our portfolio of direct investments. You will also be responsible for making sure we have adequate information to effectively report out on our progress to our investors for our investment activity.
- Ecosystem Development: We are looking for someone well connected throughout the industry as we continue to more deeply expand our network while advancing relationships with industry associations and other key ecosystem stakeholders throughout the region.
Education and International Experience
The successful candidate will have 5-7 years of investing and start-up experience. Bachelor’s Degree required; MBA or similar degree preferred. In addition the candidate will preferably have experience working for a multi-national and/or working abroad, thus having a strong understanding of global best practices in business operations.