Capria is seeking a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, and self-directed investment professional to take on a new role as a global investment director, leading LP investment transactions and ongoing portfolio management in partnership with the firm’s founders. Your ultimate scope would be global; most likely you’d be getting going quickly in LatAm where we have a high transaction volume in 2020, and you would grow to also work in other regions. Significant institutional-quality direct or LP transaction experience is a must.
|Position Type:||Full-time Employee|
|Location and visa:||Anywhere Capria does business; N. or S. America strongly preferred for time-zone alignment; if you wish you work from the US, you must have a valid visa already|
|Benefits:||Competitive health insurance plan, commute benefit, and technology allowance|
|Salary:||Commensurate with experience, recognizing startup nature of our business, with emphasis on long-term performance compensation|
|Special Notice:||Capria is an equal opportunity employer with a particular interest in helping applicants from under-represented groups build careers in private equity|
Capria Ventures is a mission-driven global investment firm investing in early-growth businesses in emerging and frontier markets which are estimated to be a $5 trillion financing opportunity. Our goal over the next 5 years is to grow 10x to $1 billion AUM, investing in hundreds of fast-growing businesses while delivering leading market-rate returns, all while improving the lives of 100 million people.
We have recently raised a second global investment fund backed by Vulcan Capital, IFC, Ford Foundation, Gates Ventures and other major family offices and other institutional investors. We are actively deploying capital and working closely with 20+ leading early-growth VC, PE and innovative debt fund manager partners in Asia, Africa and Latin America who collectively comprise the Capria Network.
Overview of Responsibilities & Objectives
Capria is seeking a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, and self-directed investment professional to take on a new role as a global investment director, leading LP investment transactions and ongoing portfolio management in partnership with the firm’s founders. Your having institutional-quality investing experience, preferably as an LP, is critical for this role. Most likely you’d be getting started in LatAm where we have a high transaction volume in 2020, and you would grow to also work in other regions where Capria operates. We expect you will be excited about the opportunity to close innovative transactions while optimizing the efficiency of a diverse and experienced global team at the forefront of generating strong financial returns and scaled social/environmental impact.
You will need to be energized by working in a fast-paced, dynamic, global startup environment, learning and mastering new things every day. We’re looking for a star who will advance quickly and grow into increased responsibility in both breadth and depth of leadership.
You will work closely with Capria’s senior leadership team and be involved in virtually all aspects of our work including sourcing investment opportunities, supporting our fund manager selection process, driving institutionally-rigorous DD and transaction processes, and ensuring our portfolio is receiving world-class support to deliver targeted returns.
Experience and Capabilities
We recognize the challenge of finding an individual with experience in all regions where Capria works. We are willing to support you in learning about other regions, but we’d expect you to have deep experience in at least one region that can be transferred to others. The most vital areas of experience include:
- Experience driving sizable investments in your region backed by strong, relevant business relationships in multiple countries. We know investing globally; we need someone who knows specific region(s) even better.
- Demonstrably-relevant investing experience (preferably at least 5+ years) and credibility in driving sound, institutional-quality LP investment decisions, as evidenced by deal performance and professional recommendations. To be credible with our fund manager partners, you must have shown you are an effective investor that knows the ins and outs of LP investing, and that you can add value before, during, and after transactions.
- Experience in a dynamic, start-up-or innovation lab-like environment or equivalent for 3-5 years. We’re looking for a self-starter who knows how to get a lot done, often across many time zones, with scarce resources, efficiently.
Key Personal Skills and Abilities Include
- Excellent people skills – able to build relationships quickly and work through challenging issues to complete transactions and for follow-on portfolio management.
- Demonstrated aptitude as a fast learner of new skills and knowledge and a strong aptitude for using state-of-the-art technology for info sharing & communications.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills in English, and preferably Spanish as well.
- Ability to effectively synthesize complex information, exercise advanced critical thinking and to model complex financial instruments such that you can deliver sound recommendations leading to profitable long-term investment results.
Education and International Experience
We’re looking for your career experience to indicate that you will thrive based on the role and responsibilities outlined. Your experience does not have to be conventional but it must be compelling. You may be an entrepreneur or an accomplished professional with relevant work experience, and most likely you will have obtained a master’s degree or equivalent in one of the following fields: Economics, Finance, Business, Engineering, International Relations, or related fields, preferably with an emphasis on innovation finance. Additionally, we look for:
- At least 3 years of experience working for a multinational and/or working abroad, thus having a strong understanding of global best practices in finance and business operations.
- Minimum five years’ experience with financial projects, ideally on making LP investments and/or venture capital deals, including the analysis of fund financial statements and reviewing direct company investments in the form of debt or equity.
- Capability to monitor and analyze the achievement of complex financial conditions and covenants with financial institutions, venture capital funds, and firms (many early stage).
- Expertise with standard methodologies used in financial projections and risk analysis of portfolio operations (PE / venture capital funds, loans, direct equity).
- Understanding of the key operational, financial, management/governance and market factors that determine success in the implementation of financial operations, particularly in the case of early growth PE and venture capital funds.
- Experience with impact investing operations that seek to utilize private-sector driven innovation to generate positive social and environmental impacts, including operations that focus on building private ecosystems for innovation and impact.
Languages: Fluency in English is required; fluency in Spanish and experience in Latin American countries a strong plus; Fluency in Portuguese and French are also a plus.